JEFFERSON CITY, Mo., April 16, 2014 – By a 5-2 party-line vote yesterday, a Missouri senate committee passed House Bill 1439 (HB1439), the 2nd Amendment Preservation Act. This is an “emergency” bill that seeks to nullify virtually every federal gun control measure on the books, “whether past, present or future.” Introduced by Rep. Doug Funderburk (R-St. Charles), it previously passed the state house by a vote of 110-36.
It is likely this bill will continue on as it had previously in HB 426 and SB 325. And will in all likelihood it & SB 613 will pass both the Missouri House and Senate. As before the real challenge will be getting Missouri Governor Jay Nixon (D, STL) to sign off and approve it.
The current draft of HB1439 nullifies any federal implementation of;
(1) Any tax, levy, fee, or stamp imposed on firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition not common to all other goods and services which might reasonably be expected to create a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
(2) Any registering or tracking of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition which might reasonably be expected to create a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
(3) Any registering or tracking of the owners of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition which might reasonably be expected to create a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
(4) Any act forbidding the possession, ownership, or use or transfer of a firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition by law-abiding citizens; and
(5) Any act ordering the confiscation of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition from law-abiding citizens. (Tenth Amendment Center)
Tenth Amendment Center. 2014. Missouri Senate Panel Approves Nullification of Federal Gun Laws. 16 April 2014. http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2014/04/missouri-senate-panel-approves-nullification-of-federal-gun-laws/?doing_wp_cron=1397738320.4677650928497314453125#.U1IKuF5GXyd
While states like California, Connecticut, New York, and Washington D.C. rush to strip their citizens of their Constitutionally ensured 2nd Amendment (2A) rights, places like Missouri and others are moving quickly to protect it. Recently, state legislators passed a bill effectively making it illegal for federal law officials to enforce gun control measures deemed “infringements on the right to keep and bear arms” by the state and were inalienable.
On February 11th, the Missouri Senate passed SB 613, otherwise known as the 2nd Amendment Preservation Act, proposed under Sen. Brian Nieves (R) that was modeled after last year’s SB 325 and then vetoed by the Democratic Governor Jay Nixon despite passing both houses and falling only a few votes shy of an override. Citing Missouri’s state constitution and the 10th Amendment, Nieves says SB 613 would protect law-abiding gun owners from federal encroachments to the 2A because…
View original post 1,189 more words